Wednesday, December 10, 2008

CJ's Coffee House, Zion

Hey all, it's Another Suburbanite again with another Lake County gem! If you're in the Zion area, you've got to stop at CJ's Coffee House at 2352 Sheridan Road.

I'm a huge fan of coffee and doughnuts. It's hard to find a good place in the suburbs that ISN'T a Dunkin' Donuts. That's why I was so excited when a friend recommended CJ's. It's reminiscent of a diner, with a counter and a few tables and lots of windows. The staff is so friendly and accommodating. But the highlight is definitely the doughnuts.

I'm going to assume these doughnuts are homemade, but I could be wrong. It doesn't matter because no matter what you get, it will be delicious. My personal favorites are the apple fritters and the vanilla iced sweet rolls. I only visited CJ's in the afternoon, but I'll bet if you show up early in the morning, the doughnuts will still be warm... and that's a fabulous way to start the day!

Aside from doughnuts, CJ's also offers a variety of coffees. They brew regular coffee but also offer espresso options. I'm a bit of an espresso snob after having worked at an independent coffee shop in my hometown in Indiana, so I'm hard to please. However, CJ's espresso drinks are a pleasant surprise! I hesitantly ordered a regular latte on my first visit and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're a coffee snob like me, don't fret at your visit to CJ's. Order your usual and they'll do it up right.

Next time I'm in the Zion area, I intend to bring home a dozen of these delicious doughnuts. Check them out and you'll understand why!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SURPRISED that Zion got a mention in this blog. I grew up there (but now reside in Chicago and have for some time) and I must say that it has a reputation for being cultureless and a 'town full of hicks'.

If you like CJ's, try It's All Good, just 4 blocks south. www.itsallgoodcoffee.net