Monday, March 9, 2009

Laughing in the suburbs - Laugh Out Loud Improv Theater

So as mentioned in my previous post, my husband and I accompanied my mom and her companion to Schaumburg's Laugh Out Loud Improv Theater for a night of funny.

It's in the Streets of Woodfield shopping center, on Martingale Lane, located underneath the Brides by Demetrios store.

It's not a huge place - seats maybe ... 50? I'm not sure, I didn't count tables, but it's sort of a black-box style theater, with small tables each surrounded by four chairs that face the stage. There's a bar that serves beer, wine, mixed drinks, soft drinks and assorted munchies for fairly reasonable prices.

The great thing about improv is that it's never the same show twice, but the cast and show we saw were pretty funny. If you appreciate humor that thinks on its feet, and like shows such as "Whose Line is it, Anyway?" then you will probably like Laugh Out Loud. They play "games" of a sort, where there's a specific set-up and the audience provides lines for the cast to utter, or a location, or a relationship between characters, that sort of thing.

There's a 7:30 show that is billed as family-friendly (this is the one we went to) and a 9:30 show that is rated PG-13. The show lasted about an hour and 15 minutes, though I wasn't timing it exactly.

While this may not be a regular stop for us, I'm glad to know it exists -- and it's a great spot for a fun night out, especially if you have visitors in town!

No comments: