Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Great food, local brews - Harrison's, Orland Park

This past Saturday my husband and I were treated to a great dinner out with my in-laws at a great Orland Park spot. Harrison's Restaurant and Brewery (15845 S La Grange Rd in Orland Park) is a brewpub with a diverse menu. Neither of us are beer drinkers, actually, so I can't vouch for the beer -- but there are dozens of reviews all over the web that can.

The food, however, I can vouch for. I'd been there a couple times before in years past, and had a few different sandwiches and wraps.

This time, we started -- as we so frequently do -- with nachos. The Brewhouse Nachos at Harrison's are a sight to behold. A huge pile of warm tortilla chips slathered with cheese, beans, pico de gallo and jalapenos (plus sour cream and guac, and optional chicken or beef), these are some of the tastiest nachos I've had -- and we eat a lot of nachos. I'm not sure what makes them special, but they are a medley of deliciousness.

I continued with the Mexican theme and opted for blackened fish tacos. I'm not sure what kind of fish it was, but it was a mild whitefish that was cooked perfectly, in layered soft corn tortillas filled with lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo and guacamole, with salsa on the side and hearty portions of well-seasoned black beans and spicy Mexican rice. I only managed two (of three) tacos and some of the rice and beans before I had to call it a night.

My husband had ribs, which came with potato (fries for him) and a side of grilled veggies (zucchini, cauliflower and carrot). I sampled the zucchini, which was well-cooked and nicely seasoned; he assured me the fries were tasty, and that the ribs were cooked to tender perfection.

I did not sample my in-laws' food, but I can report that the sandwiches they got looked and smelled delicious.

Harrison's also offers a full bar (and all that beer) and a variety of tempting desserts, but we were far too full to indulge this time.

When we get down to Orland Park, Harrison's is a great choice for a delicious meal out.

No comments: