Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A taste of Ireland - Peggy Kinnane's, Arlington Heights

I had a busy weekend last weekend. In addition to spending over two hours at the Freddo Cafe, I had lunch with some friends in charming downtown Arlington Heights, at Peggy Kinnane's Irish Pub (8 North Vail Ave.). I'd actually been there once before, but since it was the night of my bachelorette party, let's just say my memories are a bit fuzzy.

On a Saturday around 11 a.m., downtown Arlington Heights is pretty quiet, but there's a lot to see and explore. (Someday, I am going to Fuego. But that is neither here nor there.) Peggy Kinnane's is what you expect an Irish pub to be - lots of wood and signs about whiskey and green. The menu is a bit broader than more chain-like places, though, with more authentic Irish dishes including boxty, shepherd's pie, fish and chips and even an Irish breakfast. Of course, they also have more typical pub grub, including wings, nachos, burgers, sandwiches, etc. I had the fish and chips on my previous visit; on this one I went for a wrap, looking for something a bit lighter. I'm not sure that what amounted to a buffalo chicken wrap qualifies as Irish, but it was tasty.

They also have a wide selection of beers and whiskeys, along with a full bar and decent wine list.

Service was very good, and while we were the only people in the place, I remember our waitress being stellar when I was there in August of '07. So it's good to know they're still hiring good people.

Peggy's is one of those places that serves several functions. It is equally good for a lunch with friends, a nice dinner out with the family, or tearing it up late at the bar. They have an outdoor seating area for use in nicer weather, and it would be fun to sit there and people watch when it's warm.

No comments: