Monday, January 5, 2009

Christy's Restaurant & Pancake House, Wood Dale

Christy's Restaurant and Pancake House ... the name pretty much says it all. Located at 200 E Irving Park Rd. in Wood Dale (basically in front of the Metra station), this Greek diner/pancake house has something for everyone.

They serve breakfast all day, as well as an extensive lunch and dinner menu. Because we live so close to Christy's, I have now been there twice, once for breakfast and once for dinner.

It is a small, cheerfully crowded place where the waitresses are both friendly and sarcastic and you can tell they have a lot of regulars.

The food is not out of the ordinary, but it is tasty, and there is a lot of it for the price. For breakfast, for instance, I got a spinach and feta omelet that was HUGE and came with sesame toast and hashbrowns. I took half the omelet home. My husband had a bacon waffle (the man never turns down bacon) and was quite pleased; the friend we were with enjoyed her pancakes immensely.

(I must say that I was a teeeeny bit disappointed in the hashbrowns -- they were quite dry and lacked onion. In my opinion, the best hashbrowns are a bit greasy and have onion with them.)

When we returned for dinner, my husband had a frankencheese (a hot dog wrapped in cheese and bacon ... what did I say?) and I had a gyros sandwich. Both came with soup and fries, and we were given a bread basket when we sat down. Combine that with the appetizer we shared and I again took most of my actual meal home. The gyros meat was delicious, nicely cut and tender with tons of flavor. The fries were tasty too. My chicken noodle soup hit the spot; my husband said his black bean soup was yummy.

Christy's is not gourmet, it is not expensive, and it is not fancy. What it is is good food, done right. Exactly what you want in a diner/breakfast place. I should also note that the service we had both times was very good. And even if a restaurant is only above average, good service will keep us coming back.

No comments: