Monday, August 31, 2009

Emmett's Ale House, from Cook to Kane County

One thing must be said -- I love, love, love breweries.

That also means I hold them to a higher standard than your average pub or bar.

Luckily, a locally owned option called Emmett's Ale House exists. Also referred to as Emmett's Tavern and Brewing Co. in West Dundee, the ale house has locations in both Downers Grove and Palatine. And soon, they'll be expanding to Oswego in Kendall County.

(Special thanks to That Girl, for letting me know after a recent trip to the Downers Grove spot that there was another one closer to where I live in McHenry County.)

A couple weeks ago, my boyfriend and I met a friend for a few drinks at Emmett's. My friend had raved about Emmett's homemade microbrews, and I was eager to give them a try.

Three beers later, I walked away completely happy and ready to come back again.

I tried the Double Barrel Oatmeal Stout, the 1 a.m. Ale, and the Munich Light. All three were delicious and distinct in flavor, though the best was probably the Double Barrel. It tasted close to a Guinness, but better. The 1 a.m. Ale was probably my second favorite because of its sharp bite. The Munich Light mostly resembled somewhat of a cross between a good light beer and a Belgian lager, like Stella. A refreshing tang coupled with a smooth body.

My boyfriend and friend tried the two remaining beers on their handcrafted list, the McCarthy Red Ale and the Victory Pale Ale. I had a sip of the Victory and it was a little bitter for my taste, and I'm usually not a fan of red beers so I didn't try the other one.

As for the food, we ordered a couple appetizers that were just OK: the potato skins and the nachos without meat. But, my visit wasn't food-oriented, anyway.

In any case, I'm sure I'll be back at one of these locations again, as it's becoming that time of year to bring out the seasonal brews. I look forward to Emmett's new creations.

No comments: