Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggety dog (The Meaner Wiener, Wood Dale)

There's a brand-new hot dog joint in town, and I'm thrilled to have it. 

We stopped in to the Meaner Wiener (364 Georgetown Sq, Wood Dale) for a quick dinner around 7 pm one evening. The place is freshly painted and decorated with the sort of things you see at Scooby's and the like, "old" memorabilia. Menu is pretty basic -- dogs, beef, polish, hand-cut fries and pizza (with other items noted as coming soon). They also feature a case full of old-school sodas including Nehi Orange, Green River, Dog n Suds Root Beer and Hires Root Beer (which I have only ever seen on the east coast). They also had YooHoo, if that's your thing!

But to business: we each got a hot dog (no relish for me; onions & mustard for him, plus a cheese dog for him), and two fries. Our food was made freshly and delivered quickly.

The dogs were quality, and so were the toppings -- a great fresh cucumbery pickle, fresh tomato, good peppers. The bun tasted like it might have been nuked but now I'm just nitpicking. The fries were quite good though actually slightly undersalted for my taste (easy to remedy and I'd rather add some than have them taste totally salt-ridden).

All-in-all, this is a solid entry into the local food scene, and I'm definitely rooting for these guys!

No comments: