Monday, October 26, 2009

Anniversary in the suburbs -- Francesca's Amici

My husband and I recently celebrated our second anniversary, and I left it up to him to decide our activities for the evening. (I wanted him to flex his creative muscle and see what he could come up with!)

I must say, he came through. We started our afternoon by picking up a bottle of wine we'd ordered from Cabernet & Company in Glen Ellyn, a wonderful little wine shop. After perusing the area for a little while, we went on to dinner at the wonderful Francesca's Amici, 174 N. York Road in Elmhurst. I have never had a bad meal at a Francesca's (there are 15 in the suburbs and four in Chicago) and this was no exception.

We love the look of Francesca's, with warm wood, simple white tables and black and white photos on the brick walls. And we really love the food. We shared a sausage pizza with delightful thin, crispy crust and just enough cheese. I drooled over every bite of my gnocchi con ricotta, which combined tender dumplings with fresh ricotta, basil, spinach and a spicy tomato sauce. And my husband enjoyed his linguine with pancetta.

Service was quite good as well. I love Francesca's, have I mentioned that? :)


After dinner, the rest of the evening lay before us. Normally you might think we would go see a movie, or a play, or perhaps go to a nightclub. But no, my husband had a little fun-loving exercise in mind for us. And so it was that we ended up at the Lombard Roller Rink, 201 W. 22nd Street, Lombard, for an evening of flashbacks to middle school, minus the terrible '90s clothing. It was a lot of fun. The rink is well-maintained, with friendly staff. We were among the older people there, but who cares? We had a blast. (Okay, so I wished for more rock and alternative and less rap, but hey. Can't win 'em all.) They even had the place decorated for Halloween.

And so it was that we celebrated our anniversary in quirky style. I would recommend any of these businesses for great wine, wonderful Italian food, or a fun afternoon or evening of exercise!

No comments: